Vanilla Oatmeal Applesauce Bread Recipe
Vanilla oatmeal applesauce bread is my newest favorite sweet bread recipe. Not only is it delicate and oh so delicious but it is also easy to make.
First off, all the ingredients are basic ones that are typically in every kitchen pantry. Vanilla, rolled oats, applesauce, flour…you know, the basics. I love to bake delicious recipes with things I already have in the cupboards. Wasting ingredients and food is one of my pet peeves. So when I found this recipe I was super thrilled.
The entire family also loved it. The bread doesn’t last but a day in my house so I typically have to make more than one loaf at a time. This oatmeal applesauce bread works great for a breakfast sweet bread topped apple butter, an afternoon/after school snack, or a basic dessert. The bread is a delicate, soft crumble that acts more like a cake than a true bread.
Our cost to make this recipe.
My calculated approximate cost to make this sweet bread is about $5.17 per loaf or $0.43 per serving slice, if you can cut 12 thin slices out of one loaf. For our homestead, we reduce the cost buy growing our own apples and making applesauce and apple butter to can in the water bath canner. We also make our own vanilla extract which can be much more cheaper the store bought kind. This recipe takes an entire tablespoon of vanilla and costs over $2.00 for the store bough variety. This is actually the bulk of the cost.
This recipe was adapted from King Arthur Flour online recipe. All images and text are all my own and original to One Acre Vintage Homestead – Pumpkin Patch Mountain Homestead.
Vanilla Oatmeal Applesauce Bread
- 1 cup white granulated sugar …[$0.29]
- 2 large eggs …[$0.46]
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil …[$0.19]
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract …[$2.10]
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour …[$0.35]
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder …[$0.02]
- 1 tsp. baking soda …[$0.04]
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon …[$0.06]
- 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice …[$0.05]
- 1/2 cup rolled oats …[$0.14]
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce …[$1.47]
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- Blend white sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla together until mixture is smooth. Add all remaining ingredients and blend until mixture is uniform,
- Pour mixture into greased loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and remove from pan.